Friday, January 18, 2008

Potatoe & onion soup

As soon as Cindy mentioned her Iron Chef challenge, I had two thoughts - she has waaaay too much free time ;) and secondly, the much happier one - I can do that and I know exactly what I'm cooking!

Since I'm lucky enough to go through the Swedish school system when home-economics actually included the textbook including lots of quick and easy recipes for two, this recipe is from my home-economics book. About 30 minutes from beginning to end.

Potatoe & Onion Soup

Ingredients
1/2 leek or 1 yellow onion

1/2 tbs margarine or butter
3 medium size potatoes
2 cups of water
1 bullion cube (I use Knorr's vegetarian bullion cube).
salt (optional)
pepper (optional)
2 tbs cut parsley or leek for decoration (optional)


  • Peel and rinse the potatoes; clean and rinse the leek. Cut into thin slices.
  • Melt the margarine in a pot (about 3 quarts size).
  • Fry the onion in the melted margarine (just for a little bit so that the onion is soft).
  • Add potatoes, water, bullion cube, stir and bring to a boil.
  • Turn down the heat and allow the soup to simmer for about 15 minutes under lid.
  • When the soup is done, add salt and pepper to taste, whisk the soup to break up the potatoes.
  • Decorate with either parsley or leek (optional).

This has been a staple recipe for me ever since I moved out of the college dorms, so by now I just eyeball this ... if I have too much potatoes, I just add more water. I always use yellow onion, I'd like it better that way.

Tonight I just used half a yellow onion and four potatoes and it turned out great. I always skip the salt, but always add a little pepper to spice it up. I'm pretty sure it would be OK to substitute the water and the bullion cube with two cups of chicken broth, but I have never tried that. Added bonus, leftovers taste great for lunch the next day.

2 comments:

CV said...

Sounds great, Lena, I can't wait to try it!

The Irishman said...

I like the idea of thin sliced potatoes. Thanks for the great recipe.

Kevin