Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Brown and Mushy

Question: What's brown and mushy and has spots all over?
Answer: An overripe banana.

One of the many things I admire about my friend Katy is her economical and spontaneous creativity in the kitchen for creating pantry recipes (a.k.a. using up items she already has on hand.) While I am great at hunting for recipes and good at following a plan, I am terrible at letting leftover items go to waste that do not have a pre-designated purpose. So I am very proud of myself this week for taking three rotten bananas and turning them into the ultimate treat -- Banana Bread -- instead of throwing them in the trash like I normally would.

Below is the quick and simple recipe I followed courtesy of Simply Recipes. The banana bread made a delicious accompaniment to the soup I served for dinner last night and a nice breakfast treat this morning served with hot coffee. Next time I think I will add some chopped walnuts for a little extra crunch.

Banana Bread

  • 3 or 4 ripe bananas, smashed
  • 1/3 cup melted butter
  • 1 cup sugar (can easily reduce to 3/4 cup)
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • Pinch of salt
  • 1 1/2 cup of all-purpose flour

No need for a mixer for this recipe. Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C). With a wooden spoon, mix butter into the mashed bananas in a large mixing bowl. Mix in the sugar, egg, and vanilla. Sprinkle the baking soda and salt over the mixture and mix in. Add the flour last, mix. Pour mixture into a buttered 4x8 inch loaf pan. Bake for 1 hour. Cool on a rack. Remove from pan and slice to serve.

Simply Recipes http://www.simplyrecipes.com

2 comments:

Lena said...

Banana bread is one my favorites and it's always a race who gets to eat the most...

CV said...

I love banana bread, and am in agreement with Lena. It's always a nice treat, especially on these cold, wintry days.