Monday, November 5, 2007

The ties that bind

Ok, I admit. I'm a lazy cook. The quicker the better, but not necessarily fast food (though In And Out is right up there when Matt and I are so inclined). As much as I love to cook, I want to be in and out in about 45 minutes. For this reason, I never make my own spaghetti sauce until now. I was tired of all the choices on the shelf and wanted to make my own. Except I didn't know where to look!

When I got engaged, I was thrilled with one of my presents that I still carry with me. A recipe notebook filled with recipes from my 2 cousins, Aunt Sharon, and Grandma Betty. Full of things I never thought of, or dishes that I wondered as a kid "how did they do that?" I love making these dishes, it's a connection that I feel when cooking Grandma's Soup, putting together Sharon's Lasagnae, or the aching temptation over Lisa's Cinnamon Rolls.

Last night, I decided in honor of our blog, to create one of Staci's tempting dishes. It's her famous spaghetti sauce, which I absolutely adore. When mom died last year, she came over with about 10 tupperware dishes full of this wonderful red sauce. The double batch easily makes more than enough to put away and freeze for later, for those nights you're too tired to cook but are trying to save money and don't want to order in.

Here's to you, Staci, and all the other fabulous women in my family that have and continue to teach me how to love and live, especially in the kitchen!

Cousin Staci's Spaghetti Sauce

Seasoning Mix:

1 T instant minced onion (I chopped my own)
1 T parsley flakes
1 T cornstarch
2 t green pepper flakes
1 1/2 t salt
1/4 t instant minced garlic (I crushed one garlic clove)
1 t sugar
3/4 italian seasoning

Sauce:

1 lb lean ground beef or italian sausage
2 (8 oz) cans tomato sauce (I used diced tomatoes)
1 (6 0z) can tomato paste
2 cups water or tomato juice
Seasoning Mix
1 jar spaghetti sauce (for double recipe)

Directions:
Brown meat, drain grease, add tomato sauce, paste, juice/water, and sauce (if making double receipe). Stir in seasoning. Simmer 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Staci's note: I make double recipe and freeze the remaining in "gladware" for easy dinners!

1 comment:

Cindy said...

There is so much history in a recipe. I love the story of your family sharing recipes. Hopefully, in this blog, we will pass some of that history on to other people and continue to the tradition.