Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Gamer Food

Thursday is gaming night and we have so much fun! I enjoy my character and picking new spells, but I must say it's spending time with my friends and spending 4-5 hours laughing and telling stories that makes the night special. We regulary congregate over at Cindy and Don's place each Thursday night for a night of gaming.

Well now, it's also a night of food. Husbands, be prepared! Cindy, Katy, and I have turned Thursdays into a weekly potluck where each week, one is responsible for the main dish and the other two prepare sides, like dessert and salad. Tomorrow is our first try at this new tradition and I asked to be the first to bring a main dish. Considering that I have to work all day, I decided to make a lasagna that could be made ahead of time. Thanks to Google and www.cooks.com, I found an appetizing recipe that's sure to fill the ladies' curious appetites and the guys' growling bellies.


EASY MAKE - AHEAD LASAGNA

1/2 lb. bulk Italian sausage or ground turkey
1/2 c. chopped onion
1 can (28 oz.) chopped Italian style tomatoes
14-16 oz. spaghetti sauce
2 tsp. Italian seasoning
9 lasagna noodles, uncooked
1 container (15 oz.) ricotta cheese
3 c. (12 oz.) shredded mozzarella cheese
1/2 c. grated Parmesan cheese

1. In medium skillet, brown sausage and onion; drain.

2. Stir in tomatoes, spaghetti sauce and Italian seasoning.

3. In lightly greased 12 x 8 inch baking dish; layer 1/3 each of the lasagna noodles, ricotta cheese, meat mixture, mozzarella cheese and Parmesan cheese; repeat layers 2 more times. Cover.

4. Refrigerate at least 8 hours or up to 24 hours.

5. When ready to bake, remove cover, place in cold oven. Turn oven onto 350 degrees. Bake 45-50 minutes or until bubbly and cheese is lightly browned. Let stand 15 minutes before serving.

Cooking KS note: I used a 9x13 pan and could only layer it twice, but still used all my ricotta cheese and meat mixture. Also used 4 noodles across and there was enough room to lay one across the top too.

1 comment:

Cindy said...

I wouldn't say that this was the best lasagna I have ever had but it was quite tasty and satisfying and worked really well as a make ahead meal. Camille prepared everything and all the layers on Wednesday night and then dropped it off before her appointment on Thursday. I just popped it in the oven and everything was ready by the time she got back. Like most lasagnas, the leftovers kept really well. But my favorite part of this whole lasagna experience was after dinner sitting down in the back room to game and remembering that I had forgotten to put the leftovers away and the lasagna was still sitting out. I asked if anyone wanted to go put the lasagna in the fridge since I didn't feel like getting up at which point Matt was the first to jump up enthusiastically and sprinting down the hall towards the kitchen shouted back at the rest of us slow pokes, "Suckers!"