Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Artichoke-and-Red Pepper Pizza

I'm finding myself with a busy schedule these days and have fallen behind on the cooking blog. I've also started a new blog called LA Cheapskate in which I've been featuring a lot of great tasting economical recipes, finding new ways to cook and enjoy amazing food for less. However, I've also realized that I've reached a milestone with the cooking blog. Camille and I started this blog together on November 7th of 2007. A whole year and a half ago! It's now become not just a fun place to share recipes, but an important resource and collection for me to reference back on when trying to think of what to plan for dinner. So even though I've already posted some of these on my other blog, I want to repost them here so I'll be able to reference them all together here in the future.

This incredible sauce-less vegetarian pizza was recently featured on my other blog here. We have fallen in love with Fresh & Easy's refrigerated Pizza Dough and this recipe really lets it shine. Be sure to cook the crust before putting on the toppings and then just put in long enough for the cheese to melt and bubble a bit.


Artichoke-and-Red Pepper Pizza



null

1 (10-ounce) can refrigerated pizza dough
Vegetable cooking spray
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 cup julienne-cut red bell pepper
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon dried oregano
5 garlic cloves, minced
1 (14-ounce) can artichoke hearts, drained and coarsely chopped
1 (2.5-ounce) jar sliced mushrooms, drained
1 1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
Cracked pepper (optional)

Unroll pizza dough onto a baking sheet coated with cooking spray; pat dough into a 14 x 10-inch rectangle. Bake at 425° for 5 minutes; set aside.

Heat oil in a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add red bell pepper, basil, oregano, and garlic; saute 5 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in artichokes and mushrooms.

Sprinkle half of cheese over prepared pizza crust, leaving a 1/2-inch border. Spread the vegetable mixture evenly over cheese, and top with remaining cheese. Sprinkle with cracked pepper, if desired. Bake at 425° for 10 minutes or until crust is lightly browned.



Yield: 16 appetizers (serving size: 1 appetizer)

CALORIES 101 (32% from fat); FAT 3.6g (sat 1.3g,mono 1.5g,poly 0.6g); IRON 1.1mg; CHOLESTEROL 6mg; CALCIUM 103mg; CARBOHYDRATE 12.7g; SODIUM 256mg; PROTEIN 4.8g; FIBER 0.3g

Cooking Light, NOVEMBER 1995

No comments: