Monday, October 6, 2008

Brunch 'n Munch

One of my favorite childhood memories is breakfast/brunch on weekend mornings. My mom would make waffles or pancakes, and to mix it up she'd sometimes make what I always called Lazy Man Pancakes (the technical term is Dutch Babies). It's a fabulous pancake that poofs up in the pan when it's cooked, and it tastes excellent with plain yogurt and jam, or just good old fashioned maple syrup. No need to add butter as the pancake already has enough.

I made these for Matt on Saturday morning using my mom's recipe and it was the best yet. It was an emotional experience digging through those recipe cards in her handwriting, but it was also very special to have my mom with me as I cooked my hubby's birthday breakfast.

I hope you enjoy these pancakes as much as I did and always will.

Lazy Man Pancakes (also known as Dutch Babies)
Karin Mesmer and Grandma Elizabeth

1 1/2 cups unbleached flour
1 1/2 cups milk
6 eggs
6 tablespoons butter
generous pinch nutmeg

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Melt the butter and pour into a large (9"x13") pan and swirl to coat the bottom surface. In a large bowl beat the flour and milk until smooth Add the eggs and nutmeg and continue beating until smooth. Pour into buttered dish and bake approximately 20 minutes. Do not open the oven door, but check in oven windowand remove pancake when it poufs up and begins to brown. Serve immediately with plain yogurt, berry jam, and maple syrup. Best served on warm plates.

Special note from Mom: This recipe can be cut in half or thirds. Use an 8"x11" pan for 1 cup and 4 eggs, or an 8"x8" pan for 3/4 cup and 3 eggs.

No comments: