Sunday, December 9, 2007

Easy (and amazing, so says Matt) Enchiladas

I have been missing my mom's enchiladas but unfortunately do not have her recipe and the one on the back of the can just doesn't look...good. So in going through my family cookbook, I found one that Aunt Sharon had given me earlier in the year. The only thing I never like about enchiladas was that they always seemed too spicey, and thus I was not a fan of green chiles. Mom would make separate ones for me that didn't have green chilies so that I would still eat my dinner. They were soooooooooo good.

Aunt Sharon's recipe is pretty different but still quite tasty. I am tempted to make my own enchilada sauce next time though, because the red stuff in a can didn't taste quite right. Serve with melon on the side.1

Layered Chicken Enchiladas
from Aunt Sharon

1/2 cup sunflower or canola oil
8 corn tortillas
2 cups shredded monterey jack cheese
1 cup shredded or cubed cooked chicken
1 can - 4.5 ounces - chopped green chilies
1/4 cup chopped onion
1 can - 10 ounces - grreen chili enchilada sauce

Preheat oven to 350. In small skillet heat oil to 350. Dip each tortilla in hot oil for 2-3 seconds to soften; drain on paper towels.

Place tortilla on lightly greased baking sheet. Top with 1/4 cup cheese, 1/4 cup chicken, 1 1/2 green chilies, and 1 T onion. Top with second tortilla; pour 1/3 cup enchilada sauce over top. Sprinkle with 1/4 c. cheese.

Repeat with remaining tortillas to make 4 stacks. Bake 15 minutes.

Serves 4.

No comments: