Saturday, January 3, 2009

Barbecued Turkey Cutlets

It was definitely inspiring to have Cindy and Don here for Christmas, cooking delicious food and reminding me how tasty healthy meals can be with just a little planning. One night, towards the end of their visit, Cindy and I spent a few hours looking through cookbooks and bookmarking future meals. Most of the cookbooks were Cooking Light varieties, but I also recently acquired a copy of Fix-It and Forget-It Big Cookbook from Costco which includes 1400 Best Slow Cooker Recipes. It is in this cookbook I found the recipe for barbecued turkey cutlets.

This recipe is super simple and it only takes four hours to cook on low setting (even when increasing the recipe to 1.5x the original amounts). We couldn't find cutlets, so I used tenderloins and trimmed them to smaller pieces. The turkey was well cooked, but not overcooked, and the flavor was good. Even my 3-year old niece proclaimed, "I DO like turkey!!" The flavor reminded me of something similar to an asian teriyaki blend of sorts (not like typical american "barbecue sauce"). We will definitely be making this one again!

Barbecued Turkey Cutlets
Maricarol Magil Freehold, NJ
Makes: 6-8 servings
Prep. time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 4 hours
Ideal slow cooker size: 4-5 quart

6-8 (1 1/2 to 2 lbs.) turkey cutlets
1/4 cup molasses
1/4 cup cider vinegar
1/4 cup ketchup
3 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp. garlic salt
3 Tbsp. chopped onion
2 Tbsp. brown sugar
1/4 tsp. pepper

1. Place turkey cutlets in slow cooker.
2. Combine remaining ingredients. Pour over turkey.
3. Cover. Cook on Low 4 hours.
4. Serve over white or brown rice.

2 comments:

Kristy said...

Oh, I forgot to add....the pumpkin biscuits also go great with this Turkey meal!

Cindy said...

These sound good and so easy! Can't wait to try the recipe. I hope you will post a lot of slow cooker recipes on here. I don't have a lot of crockpot recipes but sure love the convenience!